Monday, May 24, 2010

When You are Angry...Wait!

WHEN YOU ARE ANGRY…WAIT!

Proverbs 14:17
A quick-tempered man acts foolishly, And a man of evil devices is hated. (NASB)

Something that I have learned the hard way is that the best response to something when I am angry is to wait. It’s not what I want to do. It isn’t what comes naturally. My first reaction is to charge ahead…to defend myself…to deal harshly with whatever or whoever has brought that anger to bear. I have hurt and been hurt as a result of this reaction to anger. But, anger is a part of life…at least a part of my life…so what should we do when we are angry.

Well, this morning I picked up a little book that I had purchased last week for use in the devotionals on our upcoming Wednesday nights when we resume our fellowship suppers. It’s called Proverbs to Live By. The first verse I read was Proverbs 14.17. In some ways it was a lot like a slap in the face.

The thing that immediately stood out to me was that the result of angry actions is foolishness. My experience bears that out. In fact…now that I think about it…when I respond in anger to something I realize now that it makes me look foolish. So, this may be on one of those issues where I need to take my own advice…practice what I preach.

First – Pause and Pray

Frequently the last thing we do is the first thing we should. Wait for a time…whatever the length of time might be…and pray. Ask God to help you with your anger.

Second – Relax and Refrain

Anger is a form of stress—a form of anxiety. The thing that would often prove most helpful is for us to pause and let that tension release before we react. Like a rubber band that is stretched to its maximum length the stress has to be relaxed before it snaps.

Third – Live and Love

We are commanded to love one another by the Lord Jesus Christ. A key element in that love is forgiving people who may offend or hurt us. Live and Love means let life go on. In my experience I have found that anger overshadows so much of life and hides love. We need to be willing to let life proceed and love be shown.

Quick…Slow…Slow

I don’t remember who said it, but I heard once about a couple who had made a commitment early in life never to go to bed angry. The wife said that for the decades of their marriage they kept that promise to each other. They never went to bed angry, but a few times they stayed up several days in a row. Regardless of how sincere you are, you will have to face anger at times. James offers us some sage advice to conclude our thoughts today.

James 1:19
…Let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;

Did you notice, there is only one thing we are asked to do quickly, that is listen. Everything else is a call to slow down. So, I would encourage you as well. Slow down…wait…let it breath. But, respond to anger in an appropriate way so that you avoid letting the “sun go down on your anger.”

When you are angry…wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment